From Twitter chat recaps to caregiving advice columns to real stories and testimonials from several of our clients, we’ve covered an array of topics on the Physicians Choice Private Duty blog since its launch in July. We wanted to thank all of our readers from the last five months. We look forward to continued success in 2013!
Of our more than 100 posts, a few received more traction than the rest. Below is a rundown of the five most popular Encompass blog posts from 2012.
5. Study finds brain damage makes elderly susceptible to scams –Â Researchers at the University of Iowa found scientific backing as to why the tactics of con artists often work on the elderly, and it may be the result of deteriorating or damaged parts of the brain.Â To draw this conclusion they pinpointed the exact location in the human brain that controls belief and doubt. It’s called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, and its condition may explain why some are more easily duped than others.
4. Real Stories: Caregiving through the night — In this real-life story, our client was the primary caregiver for her husband in her home, but she needed overnight help to best take care of him.Â After a recommendation from her husbands doctor, she contacted Encompass to assess the situation.Â Encompass helped them both through a tough decision-making process, ensuring everyone’s individual care needs were met.
3. Grapefruit’s dangerous drug interactions put seniors at risk –Ã‚Â More than 85 drugs are known to interact with furanocoumarins, a naturally occurring organic chemical compound found in grapefruit. While most of these drug interactions are harmless, 26 new drugs have been found in the last four years that can cause serious harm when combined with grapefruit.
2. Signs of senior stressÂ — No matter your age, stress is a part of life. For seniors, stress can be especially taxing and harder to overcome, as many new contributing factors are in play such as the loss of a spouse and suddenly living alone or the frustration that surrounds dealing with new physical and/or medical limitations.Â As a caregiver, knowing theÂ signs of senior stressÂ will allow you to better help your elderly loved one.
1. Great foods for elderly diabetics –Â The risk of diabetes increases significantly for those over 60 years old. Half of all diabetes cases occur in people older than 55, and nearly 20 percent of the U.S. population over 60 has diabetes. That’s why it’s important to know theÂ super foods that can help alleviate the symptoms of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Physicians Choice Private DutyÂ currently serving Omaha, Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa provides seniors and their families a complete understanding of the available care options and helps families maneuver through the challenges of the system.Â All Encompass services are directed by registered nurses or social workers with no long-term contracts.Â Contact us todayÂ for help withÂ your senior care needs.
“Physicians Choice Private Duty solves the problems families face in finding home health care providers they can trust. Providers who will focus on strategies that keep parents in their homes. To learn more about our health care services, visit http://www.encompass-home-health-care.com.”